Blessed with weather we could only dream of, the day was a great success. Even the PIMMS No1 went down a treat.
This was partly due to a miscalculation on ratios in the measure which encouraged many to come back for more.
PIMMS has a long tradition it was Pimm, a farmer’s son from Kent, who became the owner of an oyster bar in the City of London, near the Bank of England in 1850 . He offered the tonic a gin-based drink containing a secret mixture of herbs and liqueurs (which the ESC is not at liberty to divulge) as an aid to digestion, serving it in a small tankard known as a “No. 1 Cup”, hence its subsequent name.
Over the years, Pimm’s extended their range, using other spirits as bases for new “cups”. In 1851, Pimm’s No. 2 Cup (Scotch whisky) and Pimm’s No. 3 (Brandy) other Cups were introduced. After World War II, Pimm’s No. 4 Cup (Rum) was invented, followed by Pimm’s No. 5 Cup (Rye whisky) then finally Pimm’s No. 6 Cup (Vodka) in the 1960s.
Pimm’s is most popular in England, particularly southern England. It is one of the two staple drinks at the Wimbledon tennis tournament, the Chelsea Flower Show, the Henley Royal Regatta and the Glyndebourne Festival Opera.
So to see how the ESC enjoyed their’s go to:
or individual photos at: